Sewing Project: Blue Watercolor Easter Dress

Yesterday afternoon, I finished making my daughter’s Easter dress. For once, I actually finished something several days ahead of schedule instead of the night before the event, so that’s a major accomplishment for me!

I used New Look 6577 with an adjustment in the bodice and an invisible zipper and lining in the skirt. That meant that I couldn’t follow the instructions to the letter (not that I usually do) and I had to put the dress together in a different manner. I ended up ripping out a few seams and reconstructing it in a few places just so I could make the lining work the way I wanted it to.

Here’s the front view. I used a lovely lightweight cotton watercolor print and a coordinating Moda cotton solid (Royal Blue).

easterdress201301

This is the first time I’ve added a flounce to a dress with box pleats, and I don’t think it’s something I will ever do again. The flounce tends to pull the box pleats out of whack. I think flounces work better on gathered skirts than on pleated skirts. Pressing the seams and shaping the folds with my hands all the way down the dress helped quite a bit. My original plan was to make the flounce out of the solid blue fabric, but I ended up not liking the way it looked.

easterdress201302

Up close view of the yoke. The instructions say to stitch the top edges of the yoke together, then fold the back side over, tuck under the edge, and topstitch it down. I thought that sounded annoying and weird, so I stitched them together at the bottom, then folded the top edges together and topstitched them. I like this way MUCH better.

easterdress201303

Here’s the back view. This was the first time I’ve ever installed an invisible zipper, and it was a pain! I guess I need to invest in an invisible zipper foot. A normal zipper foot doesn’t seem to work as well.

easterdress201304

A look inside the dress. It’s fully lined except for the flounce, and I finished the side seams of the flounce with a clean finish seam. Lining this dress was a real challenge because I was very picky about making those box pleats come together a certain way.

easterdress201305

And here’s where I went wrong — the only visible mistake in the entire dress. It pisses me off, but there’s not much I can do. In spite of my best efforts to carefully line everything up, something ended up slightly off where the waistline seams of the lining meet. The seams are lined up on the outside of the dress, but not on the inside. I don’t know how that happened. In addition, the zipper foot made a huge fuss about stitching over the zipper stop at the bottom. It always does that and I don’t know how people get around it. I have yet to see a tutorial explaining how to deal with this nonsense. There’s also a tiny drop of blood near the bottom of the zipper. I manage to get a tiny drop of blood in almost everything I make. It’s like a signature for me, unfortunately.

easterdress201306

Advertisements

1 Response to “Sewing Project: Blue Watercolor Easter Dress”


  1. 1 Nancy Haley March 27, 2013 at 8:16 am

    I think you did an excellent job on Lillian’s Easter dress!…and as to not matching up the lining seams on the back, she isn’t going to wear it inside out, so don’t worry about it!!! You are very much a perfectionist and as far as I’m concerned, this little dress looks perfect!!! Good job!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Categories


%d bloggers like this: