Sewing Project: Curtain Do-Over

I’m finally feeling well enough to focus on blogging again. The flu is absolutely evil and January is the worst month of the entire year, so I’m still feeling pretty down. I’ll survive, and I’m determined to stay focused on my work so that I can power through this bleak month.

I meant to cover all of my 2012 sewing projects before 2013 arrived, but that didn’t work out. I’m going to get caught up as quickly as I can and then outline my 2013 sewing goals. At this rate, I might be done by…oh…February.

One of my goals was to redo the curtains I made for my daughter’s room. After we bought our 1920s bungalow in the fall of 2011, I decided that the curtains I made for her at our old house just wouldn’t do. I was never happy with them anyway. The only fabric I liked, Simply Sweet by Barbara Glass, came in quilter’s cotton, not home decorator weight fabric, and quilter’s cotton only works with certain types of curtains. Roman shades are not one of those types!

oldcurtains

Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have of those curtains. Life is pretty crazy when you have a baby, so I didn’t take the time to get quality photos of my work. Also, these curtains are embarrassing. I hate the way they turned out. They look terrible, and I realized after I put them up that I don’t like Roman shades that much. It was definitely a two-fold learning experience: (a) don’t use quilter’s cotton on certain styles of curtains, and (b) I don’t like Roman shades.

When we moved into our house, I decided to redo the curtains. I took them apart, cut the fabric, and sewed the panels into double-layer valances. It’s pretty much two valances — one longer than the other — sewn together. Thank goodness I ordered a ton of extra fabric way back before my daughter was born because I needed it to meet the fabric requirements!

Toddlerroomcurtains01

Here’s a view of a single window. I had to make two curtain panels for each window because 44″ wide quilter’s cotton isn’t quite wide enough for one window. The panels meet in the middle and the fullness of the curtains helps hide it. By the way, one of the neat features of this house is that it has wiring for wall sconces in every bedroom. They’re all conveniently located on narrow wall spaces where you would want to place a vanity, a desk, or a chair for reading. However, the little light fixture next to the window is new; it’s the cheapest one the previous owners could find at a big box hardware store and the originals are long gone. It’s very plain and the shade has a tacky pattern on it. I want to replace all of them with vintage or replica 1920s sconces some day and get rid of the ugly cheapo ones.

Toddlerroomcurtains04

And here’s the double window.

I feel much better about the curtains now. I think they look rather lovely in my daughter’s room!

Advertisements

0 Responses to “Sewing Project: Curtain Do-Over”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Categories


%d bloggers like this: